Keeping the Body in Mind – Primary
Keeping the Body In Mind-primary (KBIM-p) is a CESPHN-funded physical health service for individuals living with severe mental illness. The service, including an exercise physiologist and dietitian, operates from the UNSW Lifestyle Clinic in Randwick. KBIM-p extends to telehealth services when face-to-face support is not readily accessible or available due to COVID restrictions. Individuals engaging in this service have access to eight sessions with the exercise physiologist and eight sessions with the dietitian at no cost.
The KBIM-p service includes:
- One-on-one delivery of inclusive physical activity programs that are adaptable to individuals’ needs and preferences.
- Individualised dietitian consultations incorporating nutrition education, goal setting and planning.
- Assessment of physical health, exercise and dietary history.
- Participant led goal setting and barrier identification.
- Education on the physical and mental health benefits of diet and participation in a structured exercise program.
- Development of a mental health informed and personalised physical activity program and dietary advice.
- Pathways into existing community resources for longer term support, as required.
Telehealth services include:
- One-on-one consultations with an exercise physiologist or dietitian via video or phone call.
- Assistance with goal-setting and advice for managing physical activity and diet
- Accessible and effective home-based exercise programs with or without equipment.
- Dietitian online services can include; assistance with meal planning, shopping tours and cooking sessions.
KBIM-p is available to individuals who:
- Are between the ages of 18-65 years.
- Are not currently managed by public mental health services.
- Experience severe mental illness with a diagnosis such as schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, or major depressive disorder.
- Live in the CESPHN region.
To refer someone who meets the eligibility criteria:
Please complete the referral form online via this link.
If you have any further questions, please contact 0401 979 228.
Your GP or mental health professional (e.g., psychologist, psychiatrist) can refer to this service.
|Service Provider||Keeping the Body In Mind – Primary|
|Phone||0401 979 228|