– Statistics have shown that pregnant women have a higher risk of severe illness compared to non-pregnant women, and their babies have a higher risk of stillbirth or of being born prematurely.
– Women that have tested positive are to have an ultrasound two weeks after the isolation period to check on the baby and its growth
– Women that have had covid early in pregnancy are also recommended to have a growth scan at 34-36 weeks
– Routinely offer Pfizer or Moderna vaccines at any stage during pregnancy
– Encourage boosters. Pregnant women that have had a booster have higher rate of infants having antibodies at 6 months of age.
– Restrictions easing at St George Hospital – 2 persons for labour and birth and postnatal visits
A reminder that iron infusions for pregnant women must be ordered by the hospital antenatal medical staff not the GP. They are performed onsite and include fetal monitoring post infusion as per hospital policy
Booking referrals and results – reminder
– Pregnant woman to book using the online referral form on the hospital website
– An email will be sent to the woman with the booking appointment date, referral form for the GP to complete, early screening tests brochure (NT/NIPT) and hospital information
– All pregnant women require a face-to-face antenatal assessment at each ANSC appointment
The yellow Antenatal Record card is commenced at the hospital booking appointment and given to or mailed to the woman after a telehealth booking.
Please remind your patient to bring the card to every appointment, and update results and information at every visit.
‘Smoking Cessation in Pregnancy’ program
‘Smoking Cessation in Pregnancy’ program will commence in SESLHD antenatal clinics. This will include identifying pregnant women or partners who smoke. At each visit, patients will measure CO2 level with Smokerlyzer, discuss triggers and effects on mother and baby, benefits of quitting, myths, NRT and passive smoking.
Also included in the program:
– Quitline information (Quit Pack, phone and text support service)
– iCanQuit website (www.icanquit.com.au)
– Quit for Two App (Android and iPhone)
– Nicotine Replacement Therapy explained
– Referrals arranged to NSW Quitline, GP/Doctor or Pharmacist, Smoking Cessation Counsellor
Speak up for the community: Do you know someone who could give great input about health needs and services? voices4health is the place where people living in central and eastern Sydney can contribute to decision-making about health needs and services in the area where they live. This is a place…
Stay alert for meningococcal symptoms NSW Health is urging health professionals to be on alert for symptoms of meningococcal disease and act immediately if they appear after the notification of three recent cases. So far this year, there have been 19 cases of meningococcal disease reported in NSW. The majority…
Nominate for the 2023 CESPHN Primary Health Awards: The annual Central and Eastern Sydney PHN (CESPHN) Health Awards aims to recognise primary health care professionals and organisations that have provided exceptional service or an outstanding contribution to primary health care in the Central and Eastern region of Sydney during the…
Voices4Health – have your say about health services in your area Are you interested in having a say about health needs and health services in your area? voices4health is the place where people living in central and eastern Sydney can contribute to decision-making about health needs and services in the…
FIVE QUESTIONS is where we ask members of the community to talk about how they stay HEALTHY. General Manager First Nations Fashion + Design and Wiradjuri Woman living on Dharawal Country Emma Griggs (pictured below at the recent Australian Fashion Week 2023 at Carriageworks, Gadigal land), shared this: 1. What did…
Better care for aged care residents with My Health Record: What’s happening? This is to let you know about a new campaign to assist Commonwealth funded Residential Aged Care Facilities (RACFs) to register to use My Health Record. What’s the reason? The Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety…