MyMedicare – new voluntary patient registration
MyMedicare aims to strengthen the relationship between patients, their general practice, general practitioner (GP) and primary care teams.
Registration in the MyMedicare system will be voluntary for practices, providers and patients.
The 2023–24 Budget invests $19.7 million over 4 years in MyMedicare. A further $39.8 million will be delivered over 4 years to support systems delivery through Services Australia.
Registering your practice:
From 1 July 2023, general practices could prepare for MyMedicare by being registered in Services Australia’s PRODA, HPOS and Organisation Register systems.
Practice registration will be available to practices that are accredited, or registered for accreditation, under the National General Practice Accreditation Scheme.
An accreditation exemption until 30 June 2025 is available to non-accredited practices (including sole providers) who deliver general practice services through mobile and outreach models, including to residential aged care, disability residential settings, First Nations Australians, rural Australia and homeless people.
Actions required for General Practices prior to 1 October 2023 to participate:
- Set up an Organisation Register.
- Ensure all of your staff have an individual Provider Digital Access (PRODA) account registered. Follow the steps to register for your individual PRODA account here.
For more information on registering your practice, visit the Services Australia Health Professional Education website.
Patient voluntary registration – From 1 October 2023 patients can register for MyMedicare.
Patients must have a Medicare or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Veteran card to register in MyMedicare. There will be options for patients to register online and or in-person at their registered practice. There will be further information on how patients register coming soon.
Actions required for general practices from 1 October 2023:
- From 1 October, the MyMedicare program tab will become available in the Program Registration tab to add to your Organisation Register.
- Once you have completed this, you are able to start patients’ registrations for your practice, in HPOS under My Programs via the MyMedicare tile.
- From 1 October 2023, practices can set a default to accept all patient requests or accept/decline requests individually, as they come in to HPOS.
Keep up to date with information on MyMedicare:
Support and contacts: