Veterans’ Health Check – Let’s do the Checks
To help veterans stay well after moving into civilian life GPs are able to use custom assessment tools to help assess veterans’ physical and mental health.
Types of health checks available:
Veterans may be eligible for these health checks.
- One-off Veterans’ Health Check: for a veteran to have once, any time after they leave the Australian Defence Force (ADF).
- Annual Veterans’ Health Check: for a veteran to have each year for up to five years after they leave the ADF. This is available to veterans who left the ADF on or after 1 July 2019.
Veterans’ Health Check Assessment Tool
There is a customised tool to help GPs check for health conditions common to veterans and includes screening for:
- alcohol and substance use
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Psychological distress
Two ways to access the Veterans’ Health Check Assessment Tool:
General Practice clinical software:
The Veterans’ Health Assessment tool has been incorporated into the Best Practice and Medical Director software packages.
The Best Practice and Medical Director software packages include a field to record ADF service for patients:
- Medical Director: a patient’s ADF service history is recorded via the Family/Social Hx tab of the Patient Details.
- Assessment template in MD: can be found when clicking the Assessment tab at the top of the page and selecting ADF Post Discharge Health Assessment.
- Best Practice: a patient’s ADF service history will be recorded in the Family and Social History window.
- Assessment template in BP: can be found when clicking the Enhanced Primary Care and then selecting ADF Post Discharge GP Health Assessment
For further information and guidance go to Veterans’ Health Check – Providers