Electronic Referrals at Prince of Wales Hospital
Outpatient services at Prince of Wales Hospital (POWH) have implemented electronic referrals (eReferrals) as part of the eHealth NSW Engage Outpatients program.
This program is a partnership between South Eastern Sydney Local Health District (SESLHD), eHealth NSW, the Ministry of Health, and Specialty Health Networks.
Electronic referrals are electronic forms submitted by referrers via practice software or MyHealthLink portal. eReferrals replace other methods of sending paper referrals such as fax or post.
Electronic referrals are now the preferred method of referring to the below Prince of Wales Hospital Outpatient services. Please do not send faxes to refer to these services.
Faxed referrals will only be accepted if you are unable to access eReferrals if they are not available at your GP practice.
POWH Outpatient Services now live with eReferrals
- Aged Care
- Infectious Diseases
- Pain Medicine
- General Rehabilitation
- Palliative and Supportive Care
- Prescription & Opioid Management
- Cognitive Disorders
- Ear, Nose & Throat
- General Surgery
- Nutrition and Dietetics
A business case is being developed for further roll out of the Engage Outpatients program across other SESLHD Outpatient services.
Benefits of electronic referrals
Referrals are sent, received and managed electronically. Sending an eReferral instead of a paper or faxed referral has multiple benefits for referrers, including:
- eReferrals are integrated with HealthLink practice software and can be launched directly from the software.
- Multiple fields are pre-populated with patient information.
- Clinical information can be easily attached.
- Referrals are sent quickly and securely.
- Completed eReferrals are saved against the patient record in your practice software.
- Referrers are notified via secure message of referral receipt, outcome and triage category.
- Improved visibility of services. Referrers can select from a list of outpatient services and clinicians.
How do I use electronic referrals?
If you use HealthLink practice software, you have access to eReferrals. Video user guides for launching and completing eReferrals can be found here:
Referrers who do not access these systems can access eReferrals via the MyHealthLink portal. A HealthLink account is required.
HealthLink Portal: MyHealthLink Portal – HealthLink
Who do I contact?
Further details can be found on the SESLHD eReferrals website: